There was some 'questionable' advice recently in a local paper recommending that people stock up on "junk food" ahead of Cyclone Gita. To help prepare you for an emergency a team of NZ Registered Dietitians and Registered Nutritionists have compiled the following tips to help ensure your nutrition readiness for natural disasters....Read More
There has been a chill in the air during the last few weeks. What better way to deal with it but to curl up inside with a bowl of soup! This one is packed with nutrients and is bursting with flavour. The beauty of blue cheese, is that while it is high in fat, it packs a whole lot of punch with flavour - meaning you don't need that much!
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 head of broccoli
- 400g orange fleshed kumara or sweet potato
- Handful of spinach leaves (optional)
- 100g blue cheese
- Cracked pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion in olive oil until soft and clear.
- Add chicken stock and bring to the boil
- While stock is heating wash and chop broccoli and kumara into small pieces.
- Add broccoli and kumara to the stock and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for around 10 minutes, or until veges are tender. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add the fresh spinach and blend soup to a smooth consistency using a hand-held blender or large food processor.
- Crumble the cheese and add to the saucepan. Blend again.
- Garnish with lashings of cracked pepper.
- Serve with toasted whole grain bread.
Tip: Blue cheese is quite salty so you probably won't need to season with any salt.
A quick and easy fruit smoothie recipe for those days when you are short on time....Read More
Exercise is an essential part of any well balanced healthy lifestyle. To ensure you get the full benefit of your workout it is important to have a healthy balanced diet - eating the right foods and fluids to meet your training requirements. Good nutrition before, during and after exercise will help you to achieve your physical goals as well as making sure you enjoy the experience to the fullest.Read More
Given most takeaway options are high in fat and sugar, and therefore in energy, regular consumption of these foods can lead to weight gain.
So, in an era where we tend to be time poor and often turn to takeaways and junk food out of convenience, what are the healthier options?Read More
Do your new year’s resolutions include getting healthy, fit or losing weight? If so, let’s get started now! We’ve come up with ten summer-specific tips to help you reach your goals.Read More
As the end of the year and Christmas quickly approaches, many of us will be attending a raft of social functions. While these are a wonderful opportunity to kick back and get into the festive spirit, they also come with their own set of pitfalls – food and alcohol!Read More
Eating is a pleasurable and satisfying pastime - at least it should be! However, so often it can be a source of guilt, especially for those that are trying to watch their weight or stick to a set of strict 'food rules'.
So, the big question is: How do we eat our favourite foods and lose weight at the same time?Read More
The days are getting warmer and soon it will be time to hit the beach. Here are some useful tips to help get you in shape this summer.Read More
Has this winter hit your waistline harder than usual? Let’s do something about it! Spring is all about starting afresh so with that in mind we’ve come up with five healthy lifestyle tips to get you back in shape.Read More