This recipe couldn't be any easier - and is so easy in fact you can involve the kids! It’s also perfect for those of you who are trying to have a #meatlessmonday and a great way to use up any leftover or old vegetables and thereby helps you to reduce food waste.
- 6 - 8
- 6 eggs
- 1/4c milk
- 1 - 2 c of your favourite veggies, roughly chopped (I've used leftover cooked potato, broccoli, peas and carrots, which the boy's had left untouched from last night's dinner)
- 1/2c grated cheese
- Herbs and seasoning to taste. My boys are a bit fussy when it comes to herbs and spices so I tend to only use a pinch of pepper when making this recipe for them. However, you could add 2tbsp of your favourite fresh herbs, roughly chopped.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven grill.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a large bowl, until combined.
- Stir in the vegetables, cheese and any seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pan, over medium heat
- Pour the egg and vegetable mixture into heated, oiled pan.
- Heat over medium - low heat, until the frittata is cooked through. You can tell if it's cooked because the sides will start to pull away slightly from the side of the pan. The egg will still be a little runny on top.
- Remove from the heat and place the pan under the hot grill, until the top is cooked through and golden. Keep a close eye on it though, so it doesn't burn!
- Remove from the oven (watch the pan's handle, it might be hot!) and allow to cool.
- Serve with a side salad and your favourite relish.
- Any leftover frittata can be used for school lunches the next day.
✔️ good source of veggies for vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre
✔️ good source of protein from eggs and dairy to help support growth and development
✔️ source of calcium from cheese and milk for building strong bones
✔️ good source of energy to help keep little bodies powering through the day
For a dairy-free option, replace the milk with your favourite milk-alternative and omit the cheese.
Interested in finding out more about what to eat to help fuel your body? Book an appointment with one of our expert dietitians and nutritionists.