There has been a chill in the air during the last few weeks. What better way to deal with it but to curl up inside with a bowl of soup! This one is packed with nutrients and is bursting with flavour. The beauty of blue cheese, is that while it is high in fat, it packs a whole lot of punch with flavour - meaning you don't need that much!
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 head of broccoli
- 400g orange fleshed kumara or sweet potato
- Handful of spinach leaves (optional)
- 100g blue cheese
- Cracked pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion in olive oil until soft and clear.
- Add chicken stock and bring to the boil
- While stock is heating wash and chop broccoli and kumara into small pieces.
- Add broccoli and kumara to the stock and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for around 10 minutes, or until veges are tender. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add the fresh spinach and blend soup to a smooth consistency using a hand-held blender or large food processor.
- Crumble the cheese and add to the saucepan. Blend again.
- Garnish with lashings of cracked pepper.
- Serve with toasted whole grain bread.
Tip: Blue cheese is quite salty so you probably won't need to season with any salt.